Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Beginning

*Scared as “ALL GET OUT” (takes deep breath), opens door as it screeches, and… great all eyes are on me*

“Welcome, take a seat here and you’re right on time –we’re about to introduce ourselves and say why we’re here”

*Sarcastically with a smirk* I whisper “Great  ... mmm” As I look around and listen to everyone, -I blank out and immediately get anxious because for some reason my time is almost up and I just know I’m going to have to tell these strangers why I’m here. When honestly, I thought I was going to tell some counselor instead. I can’t do this… I don’t want to do this… (As I slightly come to the edge of my seat to raise and sneak away) It’s my turn (takes another deep breath)*

“Well… I’m Dinah (Hello Dinah!) and… I was … raped”

*As I sit back down, the room grew silent –and then was when I knew either I instantly changed someone’s life or was going to by my story.*

Growing up, you don’t think about the dangerous events that might happen to you. You don’t think about the horrible terrors of the world until you’re old enough to understand or until it actually happens to you; even then it might be too late. The first time I saw the word or even had an idea of what ‘rape’ was, was from the book “I Know why the Caged Bird Sings” by Maya Angelou. I had to be at least 12/13 years old and then I knew I wanted to be as strong as she was. She went years before telling a soul what happened to her. Somehow that to me showed her strength and at that age, (I don’t know why because I was young) I saw me. I just knew I was going to be strong and a powerful person. Now, look at me…


*Walks to car, exhales –and cries*

#IAMDINAH

No comments:

Post a Comment